View Single Post
Old 06-30-2003, 02:53 AM   #114
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thursday, September 26, 2002

London Times

Arsenal, Man U Manhandle Opponents in Champions League

LONDON-- Arsenal and Manchester United once again demonstrated why they are among the best few clubs in the world Wednesday night when they defeated top notch Champions League opponents by matching scores of 4-0.

Arsenal was utterly dominating in its victory over Austrian side Sturm Graz at Anfield, practically camping out on Sturm Graz's side of the pitch.

Dutch forward Dennis Bergkamp got the only first half score in the 27th minute, but that's all Liverpool would end up needing with a top notch pressure attack which left Sturm Graz with just two opportunities on the net.

In the second half, Arsenal ran away with it with goals by forward midfielder Robert Pires, defensive midfielder Gilberto, and striker Patrick Vieira.

Manchester United's strong play was all the more surprsiing because it came against a well-respected and strong German side in Leverkusen.

Nevertheless, Man U's defense was even more smothering than Arsenal's, not allowing a single shot at all by the German club.

Midfield superstar David Beckham got the home team ont he board in the 25th minute, but Manchester United would not score again until blitzing the goal in the second half. Phenomenal Dutch striker Ruud van Nistlerooy, who had to leave Man U's Champions League match early last week with a minor injury, made up for lost time by striking twice in the 52nd and 66th minutes of the match. Forward Diego Forlán put the final nail in the coffin with a score in the 90th minute.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote