View Single Post
Old 06-30-2003, 02:40 AM   #113
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wednesday, September 25, 2002

London Times

Liverpool Defeats Lyon In Champions League

LIVERPOOL-- English power Liverpool defeated French side Olympiqeu Lyonnais 2-0 at Anfield Tuesday night.

Both goals were scored by Senegalese forward El-Hadji Diouf, who got the tallies in near consecutive fashion in the 31st and 33rd minutes.

Lyon faced a stone wall in Polish keeper Jerzy Dudek, who has been fantastic for Liverpool in the Champions League matches so far. He faced off five shots by the French side.

Liverpool took eight shots themelves, and generally controlled the ball play during the match.

To the far east in Moscow, Russia, Scottish side Celtic fell 2-0 to Russian side Spartak Moscow in a furstrating match at the home team's Eduard Streltsov Stadium Torpedo.

The two sides engaged in nearly a match-long duel of defenses, and were locked up at zero entering the final minutes of the match. That's when Brazillian forward Robert finally got one past Celtic's Swedish goalkeeper Magnus Hedman in the 85th minute.

In pushing too hard to try and gain the goal back, Celtic then allowed striker Roman Pavlyuchenko to seal the deal with a second goal in the 88th minute.

Arsenal and Machester United both host Champions League matches tonight. Arsenal will play Austrian side Sturm Graz, while Man U will face off with powerful German side Leverkusen.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote