View Single Post
Old 06-29-2003, 07:21 PM   #109
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Saturday, September 21, 2002

Northampton Chronicle & Echo

Match Day

KETTERING-- After a week's layoff for all of English football, thanks to international cup play, the Conference returns to actuion Saturday.

And with it, financially-troubled Hereford is visiting the Rock to play the Poppies of Kettering. Hereford United has been very hit-and-miss this season, and is currently on a downturn--they haven't won a match since August 24.

Adding to their woes, on September 1 it was announced that they had gone into receivership. As of yet, no players have been sold from the roster, but it is well-known they are shopping them. Today's match might even be a tryout, if Kettering manager Matthew Kieta is at all interested in any of the Bulls' players.

Hereford, in 13th place, is coming off of a 2-0 road loss to table-topping Stevenage last Saturday. Kettering itself played the other league-leader Doncaster, falling 1-0 in a tight match at home last weekend.

Hereford's leading scorer is surprising John Grant, who has four goals. Grant is not regarded as an extremely talented forward, but he opened the season with an eye-opening hat trick against Chester on August 17. He has only scored once in the five matches since.

No one else on the roster has more than one goal.

Kettering, the 9th place team in the Conference, has won three of its past four matches and seems to playing very well. Leading scorer Chris Thompson, who has three goals on the season, is still out with a neck stinger suffered against Woking on September 10, but the Poppies still have two-goal scorers Ryan Trudgian and Carlin itonga in the lineup.

The Poppies will also be without the services of reserve defender Liam Carson, who suffered a serious back injury thursday and is likely out until 2003.

Other Conference Matches

Match of the Day Northwich at Chester-- The Vics of Northwich have rather sneakily entered the top end of the table in the Conference so far, as few took note of their rise until their dominating 3-0 road defeat of well-regarded Yeovil. Just six matches into the season, though, and the Vics are the only remaining side with no losses, including table-topping Doncaster and Stevenage (both of whom have one loss). The Vics have four wins and two draws on the season. Today they go into Chester to play the 8th place Blues. Chester lost a high-scoring affair with Gravesend 3-2 on Tuesday, but it was their first loss in five matches.

Also today:

Farnborough at Barnet
Dag & Red at Forest Green
Hereford at Kettering
Gravesend at Leigh RMI
Halifax at Morecambe
Margate at Scarborough
Yeovil at Southport
Nuneaton Borough at Stevenage
Burton Albion at Telford
Doncaster at Woking

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote