View Single Post
Old 06-29-2003, 06:24 PM   #106
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thursday, Spetember 19, 2002

London Times

Several British Clubs In Action In UEFA Cup

LONDON-- Sure, it's the "lesser" cup, but not too many clubs will be complaining about playing in it. Nine United Kingdom clubs will begin a quest to take this cup as the first round of the UEFA Cup competition starts up tonight.

The UEFA Cup features the best clubs not featured in the Champions League. It takes the 16 clubs which lost in the Champions League final qualifier, and adds them to a group which contains 36 first seeds from various leagues across Europe, the three Inter-Toto Cup winners from earlier this summer, and 41 qualifying round candidates, and then does a massive, 96-club draw to set up the field.

After that, it's one-round elimination until all that remains is the champion. Last year, the winner was Dutch side Feyenoord, which won the right through Champions League qualifying to remain in the group stage for that vaunted cup.

The highlighted club for the United Kingdom is Newcastle, which lost out in the qualifying round for the Champions League. They will be playing for some redemption and respect in this tournament. Tonight, they start with a road visit to Spanish side Alavés in Vitoria, Spain.

The other English clubs in competition are Leeds, Chelsea and Blackburn from the Premier League, and Ipswich Town from the First Division.

Ipswich seems to get the toughest matchup, as they will host vaunted Italian power Lazio at Portman Road.

Blackburn will also have a tough match against French side Auxerre in Blackburn tonight.

Chelsea is in Cyprus to plau Anorthosis, while Leeds travels to Estonia for a match with Tallinna Levadia.

Three Scottish sides are also in action, including the Rangers. They will travel to Bucharest, Romania for a macthup with Dinamo Bucharest.

Aberdeen hosts Belgian side genk tonight, and Livingston is getting a visit from Irish side Dundalk.

Welsh side Bangor City rounds out the group of British sides in the running. They will host Lithuanian side Atlantas.

The first round will be played in two legs, with the second leg set to be completed on October 3.

Some of the other notable clubs in the competion are Porto, Betis, Celta, Torino, Lorient and Club Brugge.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-29-2003 at 06:24 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote