View Single Post
Old 06-29-2003, 05:52 PM   #105
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thursday, September 19, 2002

London Times

Arsenal, Man U Both Win In Champions League

LONDON-- Continuing what has been a good run for United Kingdom clubs in the Champions League this season, both Arsenal and Manchester United won their matches Wednesday night.

Arsenal defeated French power Lens, 1-0 at Highbury Park. Dutch star forward Dennis Bergkamp did the damage, scoring a goal in the 36th minute.

The real hero was Arsenal's smothering defense, though, which limited Lens to just three shots for the match.

In Spain, Manchester United took on strong Spanish side Deportivo, and came away with a tough 2-1 victory in A Coruña.

The match remained scoreless for most of the match, as both sides pressed but failed to crack the other's defense. Both Man U's goalkeeper Fabien Marthez and Deportivo's netminder José Francisco Molina were excellent.

Finally, in the 68th minute, Welsh superstar Ryan Giggs got one past Molina to move manchester up. That seemed to deflate Deportivo, as they allowed another goal to Uruguayan forward Diego Forlán shortly after, in the 75th minute.

An 89th minute goal by Deportivo midfielder Juan Carlos Valerón came too late to save the Spanish club from defeat.

Manchester United did get a bit of a scare when star striker Ruud van Nistlerooy had to leave the match early with an injury, but it turned out to be minor and he is not expected to miss any other matches.

In eight Champions League group stage matches by United Kingdom clubs so far, the British side has come out on top in seven of them. The lone exception was Arsenal's defeat in Germany last week at the hands of FC Bayern. The other clubs are Liverpool and Scottish side Celtic.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-29-2003 at 06:42 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote