View Single Post
Old 06-29-2003, 04:46 AM   #98
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

September 14, 2002

"It looks like a busy one today," Andy said, surveying the gradually filling stands from his seat.

"Well, as it should be," Peter responded. "This is a big match."

"True enough."

"Where is Randall with the chips and ale?" Peter asked, looking around.

"Probably trapped in a long line with this crowd, or talking it up with some hot number," Andy said, grinning salaciously. "If I had his battleaxe of a wife, I would be fanning out for better options myself."

Peter chortled at the jape--an old joke among mates, since half the time Randy's wife never even lets him near the ground.

"Ah here they are," Andy said.

Randall had appeared out of the crowd, with William in tow. Rich red ale in short cups abound in the hands of both.

"It looks like we'll get this one off right," Peter said.

"Bloody hell!" William exclaimed as he collapsed into his seat. "What a line! Half the park looks to be filled if that line's a guess."

He handed over one of his beers to Andy, as Randall finally settled in.

"We haven't seen a crowd this big for a regualr season match since '01," Randall said. "Course, Derby was quite a sight bigger--we had a full house for that one. But what do you expect with a Division One side. And look at them now--looking like they will be headed to the premier next season. Imagine that!"

Andy looked at the pitch as he passed a beer to Peter.

"Is Thompson going to play," he asked hopefully.

"No, you bloody oaf, he is done and gone for at least two matches," Peter said. "Wish we had seen the Scarborough match two weeks ago."

"I spoke to some chaps who went," Randall said. "They say he's the real deal. That Trudgian kid, too--serious height on that one, they said. He won every header sent his way."

"We'll see soon enough about that," Andy said. "It looks like the match is about to start."

A few game minutes later

"Hmm...we seem to be pressing well," Peter commented. "I like the look of this tactic. It's much more exciting than the drab set we ran against Barnet."

"Yeah, but press all you want," William said. "If you don't score it doesn't matter..."

23rd minute

"Shite! Watson got it on the wing," Andy excalimed. The crowd was getting rowdy as the midfielder moved down the left--and near--side of the pitch.

"Watson, give it up, you testy bugger!" Andy screamed at the player. Dowie closed in on him before he moved it to center.

Winger Gareth Owen stepped up and passed it back toward the streaking Watson.

"Oh, bloody obvious, but Dowie is fooled," Peter groused. Dowie tried to catch Watson from behind asd the midfielder approaches the line.

"Watch for Blundell!" Peter screamed suddenly, rising in his seat.

Watson turned and moved a pass into the box--and right at Doncaster striker Blundell, camping out in front of the net.

Williamson steps in, though and knocks it away.

Before the guys can react, though, it's on Peterson's foot. They watched in silent horror as the Scottish striker bruies it past Bowling up close. The keeper never had a chance.

Peter groaned as the four men sat, Andy with his head in his hands.

"Off the rebound, for Heaven's sake," Andy lamented. "That was a fine interception by Williamson. Too bad he couldn't control it."

"We'll get it bacl," William said optimistically. "We have been in their face all day so far. I just know we can push it across."

"We had better hope so," Randall responded...

Halftime

"Well, so much for offense," Andy said disgustedly.

"Now, now, we are on the doorstep," William said, keeping his spirits up. "That Warrington is a tough one to beat. But if we keep on them we can get one by."

"These Rovers may be a tough squad, btu they don't look that tough," Peter said. "I think we can still take them. We had good control of the ball, and their goal was luckily scored."

48th minute

Howarth reaches the goal kick and heads it forward to Diuk. Diuk then turns and fires a pass toward Trdugian near the box.

"Oh! Nice pass!," William said.

"Look, he's got Itonga!" Peter said, pointing.

Itonga moved left into the box, a Doncaster fullback trying to close him down. Warrington moves forward in anticipation.

"He's shooting!" Randall said, rising.

Itonga unleashes a shot on net from just inside the box. It is a high shot. Warrington is going to have to jump for it. He extends forward and up as the ball, looking good, sails high toward the net...

...but Warrington just reaches it and sends the ball flying over the bar for a corner.

"Oh, shit! So close," William bemoaned. "Itonga should have angled it a bit."

"Well, he only had one real good angle, and he knocked ti goos," Peter said. "Warrington is just on today."

"Here's the corner," Andy said.

Itonga rears back and sends a hanger into the center of the box. Several players leap, but Wayne Diuk rises above them and heads it toward a corner of the net.

"Oh!" thew four exclaim!

Not quite, the ball bounces off of Watson, who tried to deflect it away, and it bounded off for another corner.

"Damn!" Andy said in a huff. "I thought that was in."

"Here's another chance at least," Peter said.

Itonga sends another one into the box, although this one is a little further out. Some players collide as the ball squeaks through untouched.

Whistles blare.

"What's this?" Peter asked, frowning. Andy starts praying aloud for a penalty.

The official waves off play, and signals a foul on Trudgian.

"Sonofa...that ref is daft!" Peter exclaimed. But the call stands. Doncaster gets a free kick, after Trudgian is ruled to have backed into a defender.

51st minute

Bowling clears the ball deep into the Doncaster pitch-side.

"Come on Poppies, let's get it going!" William yells from his seat.

Miller rises above the Poppy players and heads it back across the midline.

"Oh no," Peter said. "Blundell's under it!"

Blundell does a little ditch to the right, but Howarth doesn't bite. His avenue to the box closed, Blundell lifts a sot floater toward the net.

"Come on Bowling!" Andy said.

Andy need not have worried--the soft shot falls easily into Bowling's hands to end the opportunity.

58th minute

"Williamson has it! Come on Davy!" Randall said.

The midfielder moves it up to Dowie, who punches it forward to Murray.

"They have a man up on the charge!" William said, pointing.

William was right. Murray, Trudgian and Itonga were all advancing on the net and just two defenders. Murray moves a quick pass forward to Trudgian, who sidesteps and sends it down to Itonga. Itong ahas the step!

"Come on, score!" Peter yells, as Itonga fires...but it goes right at Warrington, who clutches and grabs the hard shot.

"Shit! That was right at him!" Andy said. "We can't very well score if we keep hitting at the guy."

Peter nodded his agreement.

68th minute

"I'm beginning to get desperate, guys," Peter lamented. "This one is getting close to the end."

"Shut up, Tenford," Randall said. "You'll jinx the boys."

Doolan has the ball at midfield, and he moves it up to Watson as he approaches the box from left and out.

Watson is attracting attention from a bevy of Kettering defenders, but he moves inside. Using an effective swing charge, he finds a hoel and charges into the box.

Peter fears he knows what is coming next. How did he get intot he box?

Watson unleashes a shot at Bowling, firing at waist level to Bowling's right. Bowling slides over nicely and deflects he hard shot into the ground and to behind right...but...

"Shite! The ball didn't clear!" Peter yelled. Players from both sides converged on the ball, which was sitting just inside the goal line not more than a couple feet from the left net post.

Solkhon gets to it first, and unleashes a clearing shot in the obly direction he has time for, sending the ball into the terraces beyond the left wing.

"Oh, that was a great get by Solkhon," William said. "That could have been a score."

"way to keep us in it, rook!" Andy called.

78th minue

"Itonga's got a step on him," Peter said. Itonga was clearly going to reach a long ball before the Doncaster defender would get there.

"into the box with you, Itonga," Randall said. Like a mind reader, Itonga turns and puts in a floater right onto the front end of the net. Trudgian and his man leap up for the shot, but the other guy wins...

"Damn...but wait!..." Randy continues. Trudgian moves it back to Dowie, who immediately puts out to Duik on the right wing.

Warrington raced over to get the shot...and Duik buries it right into his hands.

"Oh come on!" Peter said. "Guys, you have to hit it toward the open part of the net!"

Full Time

"Well, that's that," Peter said in disgust. "They just couldn't beat the guy."

All four were getting up and grumbling at the nature of Poppy football.

"So much for all that offense," Andy moaned. "I guess Thompson is our offense--without him, we're nothing."

"Well, we did seem to dominate the abll play, and I wasn't keeping track, but I am certain we beat them on shots," Randall said. "We just didn't put it in the net. We'll get them next time, when we have Thompson."

The four join the throngs heading for the exits.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-29-2003 at 04:48 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote