View Single Post
Old 06-28-2003, 10:08 PM   #97
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Saturday, September 14, 2002

Northampton Chronicle & Echo

Match Day

KETTERING-- It's no doubt that many bigger matches will come Kettering's way as the season progresses. But it seems clear that, given the Poppies' recent return to the Conference--tosay's match may be the most critical match the side has played in two years.

Today, the Rovers of Doncaster come a-calling on the Poppies, and with them an interesting divserion: which is better, the talented team near the top of the table, or the hot team with two easy road victories on its fixture?

The Rovers came into the season as one of the favorites to contend for promotion from the Conference this season, and they haven't disappointed. They have won four of their five matches, and three of them by more than one goal. They have some of the best numbers on both offense and defense. They have been rolling over teams. Their only loss is to Stevenage, the hottest team in the Conference, and that was a road match. Goalkeeper Andy Warrington is one of the Conference's best netminders, and striker-forwards Paul Barnes, Jamie Paterson and Greg Blundell have few equals. Midfielders Andy Watson and Robert Gill are also among the best in the league at their positions.

Against this will run a hot Kettering squad that has won three in a row after a disappointing start. And in attendance will likely be a sizable crowd of Poppy fans, who will see their side again for the first time since two weeks ago, when pre-winning streak gloom and doom was at its peak for this club.

The only bad news for Kettering in this match to prove it belongs is that it will have to play without sudden star striker Chris Thompson. Thompson suffered a neck injury in the 3-0 win over Forest Green on Tuesday, and will probably miss at least two weeks of play. Thompson has three goals in three games.

The match will begin at 3 p.m. at Rockingham Road in Kettering

Other Conference Matchups

Match of the Day: Doncaster at Kettering-- We won't go into this again--just read above. Simply, no other Conference matches compare to it today. For one side, it is a chance to stay up with Stevenage. For the other, it is proof it is legitimate.

Also today:

Margate at Barnet
Gravesend at Chester
Farnborough at Leigh RMI
Nuneaton Borough at Morecambe
Dag & Red at Scarborough
Burton Albion at Southport
Hereford at Stevenage
Halifax at Telford
Forest Green at Woking
Northwich at Yeovil

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote