View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #168
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
I think you are making the OP's point for him in a roundabout way...as the operative word in the analogy is "fishing"...not tuna. So when one speaks of "fishing"(or "lynching", i.e. an action), it does not lead everybody to necessarily associate tuna or dolphin(or "white or black person", i.e. a target of the action) as both can and have been "fished" (or "lynched"), regardless of which has been "fished"(or "lynched") more.

What you've termed as a "tuna boat" is more analagous to a "racist white person"...just as a "boat" is more analagous to a "person" or even "white person".

Again...the analogy fails since "robbing" is an illegal activity. "picking up" & "robbing" are 2 different terms...just as "lynching" & "murdering" are 2 different terms. One can murder by lynching somebody...and one can rob by picking up money from a place which does not belong to them...but they are not the same thing.

I'm not trying to nitpick you (albeit I have a bit)...but pretending that everybody in the world should understand and automatically know every word that every other person in the world might find offensive is...well, unrealistic. We have all lived in different circumstances, cultures, ethnicities, & social status...and not everybody understands every implication of every term they have heard...especially when the term has no inherit meaning to race.

By that standard or expectation...we have a lot of dictionaries to rewrite.

I don't mind the nitpick. I post from work and during calls so I'm sure a lot of what I type needs nitpicking.

I think you are over stepping the analogy though since Lynching is not to crime prevention as fishing is to bringing edible food from the ocean.

But lets say it is. Compare the professed purpose of the holocaust which is to wipe out the Jewish race that also killed non Jews and try and say that the holocaust wasn't a jewish issue.

It all fails right there in Synovia's post since he clearly stated it's not a black issue since non blacks were lynched too. It's a pretty direct analogy to me.