View Single Post
Old 06-26-2003, 04:29 AM   #90
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wednesday, September 11, 2002

London Times

English League Cup Begins Play Tonight

LONDON-- All across England, nearly every club higher than the Conference and lower than the Premier will be in action today, all with one goal in mind: to advance to the second round of English League Cup.

One of four open cup competitions given throughout the year here in England, the English League Cup is the earliest, and will eventually give every side above the Conference a chance to win it.

It's a winner-take-all competition in the early rounds, which currently includes every side except for Third Division Boston United, which lost a preliminary match in August to fellow Third Division side Bristol, and has thus already been eliminated. Premier League clubs get byes from the early rounds.

The draws are wide open, as is home field advantage, so a club may find it can be playing just about anywhere in England and facing an opponent as low as Third Division runt Cambridge or as high as Division One table topping Derby County.

No less than 35 matches will be played tonight. Here are the top matches in the draw:

Wolverhampton Wolves (15th in D1) at Brighton and Hove Albion (9th in D1)
Millwall (13 in D1) at Stoke City (17th in D1)
Wimbledon (14th in D1) at Walsall (21st in D1)
Wrexham (2nd in D2) at Leicester City (7th in D1)
Reading (19th in D1) at Plymouth Argyle (11th in D2)
Crewe Alexandre (4th in D2) at Preston North End (20th in D1)
Portsmouth (22nd in D1) at Wigan Athletic (3rd in D2)

Of course, there are also not-so-great matchups. The award for "Unofficial Bye In The First Round" goes to Division One Crystal Palace, tied with Derby for the table lead. Tonight, they get the enviable pleasure of hosting Division Three Rochdale--the second worst side in the lowest division. It could get ugly.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-28-2003 at 12:47 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote