View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #88
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ View Post
I don't think I've ever heard the word "lynch" used other than in the context of lynchings of blacks. Otherwise, don't most people use the word "hang"? When someone commits suicide, they don't "lynch themselves". When someone is given the death penalty, its not "death by lynching".

I'm not big on political correctness, but I don't see how you can interpret this as anything other than a racial slur, whether she was joking or not.

This is exactly why we have to be careful with persecuting people on words & context that arent obviously intended to be offensive. While I know the term has been associated with racial hate crimes...the term's common meaning to me, is closer to 14ers quoted definition which is "to have a group exact their percieved justice onto another individual or group". I have heard the term used in the past...and this definition is how I have always heard it used.

It isnt that I'm not aware of the way the term has been linked in the past...it's just that the term is not a word indicative of race...and not being constantly focused on race(as people like Sharpton would like us all to be), it doesnt otherwise strike me as offensive without some more relevant context. To me, if we cant take words for what they mean, and people for what they intend, then we might as well stop talking as somebody will inevitably be offended by it.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote