View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #48
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The more you beat kids over the head with stuff long past the point it's necessary, the more backlash there will be once they can think for themselves. (I don't think my school taught ANY history except the holocaust from grade 6-8. Apparently, nothing else ever happened in the world. By the end of it, no one cared anymore)

Everyone "gets it". Everyone knows about lynching and it's role in US history. Not all of us agree in this constant villianization of people who mispeak. It's tiring.

That's not really what I meant. I think that if people respected each other more and respected the fact that we not just came from different pasts and different paths to get here; but that we're in the same boat now and need to make it flat or we'll sink collectively, would be a lot better.

But between the diversity police, the people who want to act like nothing in the past and that it "doesn't matter anymore" and the folks who are bitter and want people to redress the "effects" of the past by "giving them" something there is more than enough blame and silliness to go around.

I don't think schools would fix it, to be honest. But the one thing I was saying that if people were taught a more complete version of history, these sorts of things wouldn't come up, because they're understand and appreciate the facts behind it.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote