View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
14ers
High School Varsity

Why is the word "Lynch" a hate crime?

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7009674606
Quote:
Bill Lumpkin - AHN
Orlando, FL (AHN) - Golf Channel anchor Kelly Tilghham has been suspended for two weeks for her on-air remarks that young golfers should "lynch Woods in a back alley."
Tilghman light-heartedly made the comments to analyst Nick Faldo during the PGA season-opening event during the Mercedes-Benz Championship.

The Golf Channel reacted on Wednesday after the Rev. Al Sharpton called for Tilghman's firing and other NCAAP leaders reacted as well.

Adora Obi Nweze, a president of the Florida State Conference, a unit of the NAACP, told the Orlando Sentinel that's Tilghham's comments were similar to those of Don Imus, who was fired by CBS after comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Nweze said, "I don't know anybody who uses that word (lynch) commonly, or at all, for that matter."
How is this similar to Imus's Nappy headed Hos comment? The word Lynch does have a defintion, and Nweze must re-educate himself that there are times where the use of word Lynch would be correct.

"lynch Woods in a back alley." is the correct use of the word Lynch, and has nothing to do with Tiger woods being Black.

Def:
Quote:
Main Entry:lynch
Pronunciation:\ˈlinch\

Function:transitive verb

Etymology:lynch law

Date:1836
: to put to death (as by hanging) by mob action without legal sanction
— lynch·er noun

14ers is offline   Reply With Quote