View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #207
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I pretty much think Hillary sucks. So forgive my bias.

Look -- Obama, McCain, Huckabee, Romney, and Edwards are all out there pretty friggin' exhausted, working hard, doing everything they can for a vote and all of them have been down far worse than Hillary at times...and if any of them started crying there campaign's would be over. Period. Hell, at least wait till the end to cry, if you find out you don't win, that's cool. But to cry because you're losing? The fight is still on and I don't think crying is the right national TV strategy to get votes. It worked this time (amazingly) , but I think it's crap.

The standard for President of the USA should be the same for men and women. If crying on national TV is a PR disaster for a man, it should be a PR disaster for a woman.

Is getting misty eyed when talking about one's country a PR disaster for a man? I don't think so.

I didn't get the sense she "cried" because she was losing. Here are the exact words she spoke:

“I couldn’t do it if I just didn’t passionately believe it was the right thing to do,” she said here in reply to a question from an undecided voter, a woman roughly Mrs. Clinton’s age.

Her eyes visibly wet, in perhaps the most public display of emotion of her year-old campaign, Mrs. Clinton added: “I have so many opportunities from this country, I just don’t want to see us fall backwards. This is very personal for me — it’s not just political, it’s not just public.”

I have no problem at all if someone, man or woman, gets visibly moved by something they believe passionately in. If anything I think it's a hallmark of a good leader, though perhaps not a good politician. (Sadly, the qualities that make a good leader are rarely found in a good politician).

We see men get misty-eyed all the time when "overcome" by emotion. It's pretty common place in sports when a team wins a championship or a player announces his retirement from a game he played since he was a boy and loved passionately. These are never "PR disasters". In fact, these guys are lauded for it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote