View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 07:28 PM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Week 1 Review

We've don't have game in week 1 this year, and I've always liked this. I feel like I can get a mental jump on recruiting before becoming too caught up in the game-planning and roster management.

Recruiting

Recruiting has become a beautiful thing. Where phone calls used to go unreturned, letters came back 'return-to-sender', and fingers slammed in doors, we are now getting our due attention. In the nation's top 100 players, all are now at lest willing to listen to me, listen to Rutgers! Players that used to be the largest of dreams are now realisitcally within our grasp.

My major restriction on recruiting is this:
Only 3 scholarships may be offered over a 2 week period to red or black coded players.

This has become a much smaller obstacle than before, and we can now recruit from some of the best players in the land with them being blue-coded (giving us legitemate to serious consideration).

Local Obligation Scholarships

I'm required to offer scholarships to any players coming from my 2 home towns of North Plainfield and New Brunswick. This year no player is headed for college from either school, so I'm off the hook.

Blue-Chip Recruits

QB T.J. Houshmandzadeh - #4 QB, #18 player nationally. scouted 75-
6'3" 202 lbs from Philadelphia, PA. Ricky is a big-time passer from an extremely solid program. His proximity to us is amazing (just 49 miles), meaning only the horrible Princeton Tigers are closer. With his focus on distance and academics, this could be a slam-dunk acquistion of our next great QB.
high school stats (after 4 games): 56% completion for 792 yards (8.8 avg), 4/0 TD/Int. Ricky also has incredible legs, running for 441 yards and 5 touchdowns so far.

DE Winfred Bernard - #8 DE, #27 player nationally. scouted 92-
6'5" 253 lbs from Medford Lakes, NJ. Winfred appears to be a much better run stopper than pass-rusher, despite his somewhat light frame for the position. An excellent student, Winfred is most interested in Academics (Random Number Theory) and distance. Only Princeton is closer to him, so we should be able to lock up his services.
high school stats (after 4 games): 41 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 1 interception.

---other scholarship offers---

G Chris Owens - #2 guard, #34 player nationally. scouted 92+
DT Lee Barnes - #4 DT, #39 player nationally. scouted 94+
T Ralph Stoughton - #9 tackle, #92 player nationally. scouted 78+

Conference Snapshot
Week 1 Results
---------------
Bowling Green 9 at SYRACUSE 59 [TV5]
Princeton 17 at FLORIDA 41 [TV4]

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 06-26-2003 at 12:19 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote