View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #142
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just to touch on the race thing for a second. Politically active blacks I've talked to or communities online that I frequent are taking a huge wait and see attitude. I think Iowa surprised a lot of folks and if he wins tomorrow, that it will be interesting to see how much of a boost he gets down south as a result. A lot of (black) folks that I've seen are just not convinced that he'll get elected because of the race issue, beyond any of the other stuff.

But his lack of a "traditional" campaign in that regard is making him so intriguing and that his base of support goes beyond liberals, beyond blacks, beyond moderates even..that he's really doing something we haven't seen in a long time by a candidate.

I hear the Kennedy comparisons more and more and yet, I feel as if none of that stuff really speaks to the complexity of this race to some degree.

I think the real issue here is, this is such an unknown thing to so many people that the entire complexion of this race is overwhelming the pundits who can't quite be sure what to make of it.

My sense is, a lot of people -- young and old -- seem exasperated with the "business as usual" sort of activity politics has become. Obama's ascendancy has a lot more to do with the lack of upstarts and change agents who have a seat at the table and I think they feel like he represents a 'new day' in American politics.

I'm glad that David Gergen just said on CNN that Hilary's crying thing earlier is showing a woman who is "frustrated and feels like it's her turn and this young guy Barack Obama has come from nowhere to take it from her."

And that, to me, is the problem. It's not a coronation, it's supposed to an election and just because we "know her" already, doesn't mean that she doesn't have a responsibility to tell folks why she'd work and "experience" just doesn't cut it.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-07-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote