View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #127
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Someone commenting on NPR this morning said that the significance of Obama's Iowa victory was to convince people who wanted to vote for him but were not going to because they felt he "couldn't win" that he could, in fact win, and that this is translating directly into changing polling numbers, most specifically in NH.

I agree with that. I think there are/were a lot of Democrats who are/were looking for a reason not to vote for Hillary but skeptical that Obama could effectively compete -- and his early debate performances bore out the wisdom of that approach. He has gotten much better at that however, and I think the important thing about Iowa was that he proved to some extent that he could draw from many different groups (youth, independents, etc).

IMO that was what many Democrats (and Independents, I dare say) were looking for. I think that Obama's surge and performance has got to greatly trouble the Republicans who still think that McCain or someone else on their side can capture the center.