View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 09:30 AM   #100
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this. What is Warren Buffet doing with his fortune? What did Bill Gates do with a good chunk of his fortune? These are the two highest profile examples, but not all rich people need to be forced to help the poor.

Wonderful things these two guys are doing. Both fortunes combined don't pay for Social Security or Medicare for very long. And for every rich person that dedicates him/herself to philanthropy, I'll show you 1000 greedy bastards that just give money for the tax break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Heck, for the sake of argument, why should the rich help the poor?

Seriously? Well, for folks brought up in the Judeo-Christian or Muslim tradition, you should because God's prophets and/or only begotten son said it was the right thing to do. Most other major and minor religions include similar tenets.

For the aforementioned greedy bastards who worship only money, because rich people don't have enough feet to keep on everyone's throats in perpetuity. Every so often, the poor realize that they have power, too, and it can end badly. Check out wikipedia's entry for the French Revolution.

Last edited by chesapeake : 12-19-2007 at 09:31 AM.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote