View Single Post
Old 06-24-2003, 06:48 AM   #86
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Tuesday, September 10, 2002

Northampton Chronicle & Echo

Match Day

FOREST GREEN-- It seems like the entire English football world take the last week and change off to start up the Champions League.

Well, now that the top European club competition is under way, it's time for the rest of the teams to get back to business--which for Kettering means a visit to The Lawn, home ground of the Forest Green Rovers.

The entire Conference is back in action tonight after not playing since August 31.

Kettering manager Matthew Kieta said he expects no hangover from the long layover.

"That's why we train as hard as we do," Kieta said Monday. "There are odd breaks like this throughout the schedule, but we're professionals. We just deal with it and move on."

The two sides meeting tonight at 7:30 at the Lawn seem to be otherwise moving in opposite directions. Forest Green opened the season with an impressive victory shutout victory over one of the preseason favorites in Morecambe, but have since lost three in a row--while Morecambe has itself been proving itself to be more of an underachiever than a contender.

Meanwhile, the Poppies appear to be in the midst of a turnaround after losing the first two matches of the season. They have won the two matches since, including an impressive road match against Woking in their last visit to the pitch. Nonetheless, road matches are never easy at any level of English football.

Midfielder Shaun Murray, who missed the Woking match with a gashed leg, is healthy and available tonight. Backup midfielder Michale Boyle-Chong, though, is still out with a similar injury, and backup striker Victor Asombamg is also unavailable, due to a stubbed toe suffered in tarining last week.

Other Conference Matches

Match of the Night: Stevenage at Dag & Red-- A month ago, you might have laughed at a Stevenage visit to Victoria Road as being a highlight match of the fixture. Well, that's why they play them out. Stevenage is currently sitting atop the Conference table all by its lonesome, after handing the only other undefeated, untied side, Doncaster, a nasty defeat on August 31. Stevenage has won all four of its matches so far, and most in impressive fashion. Meanwhile, preseason favorite Dag & Red, while playing solid ball, has proven more vulnerable, losing tight one-goal matches to Barnet and Leigh RMI in its two road tilts. One team will be seeking to further prove its skills and move further ahead of the pack, while the other will be trying to reassert itself as the top contender for promotion.

Also tonight:

Yeovil at Burton Albion
Scarborough at Doncaster
Telford at Farnborough
Kettering at Forest Green
Southport at Gravesend
Chester at Halifax
Barnet at Hereford
Morecambe at Margate
Woking at Northwich
Leigh RMI at Nuneaton Borough

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote