View Single Post
Old 06-22-2003, 07:59 PM   #78
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

September 1, 2002

Northant Evening Telegraph

Conference Awards Announced

LONDON-- The Nationwide Conference announced the winners of the league's monthly awards for August, the first of the new season.

Woking striker Warren Patmore received the Player of the Month award, after scoring five goals and assisting on another in four matches. He received two Men of the Match in August.

Morecambe's striker Danny Carlton, 18, earned the Young Player of the Month award, with an explosive four goals in just two matches, one of which wasn't even a start.

In a surprising move, the Conference gave the Manager of the Month award to Barnet's Danny Mason. Barnet won three of its first four matches with shutout victories, but the Bees also were dominated by Doncaster, 3-0, in their loss.

Meanwhile, Doncaster's manager David Penney put up essentially the same record, but in more dominating fashion and his side defeated Barnet directly. And, of course, neither Penney nor Mason would have been expected to receive the award over Graham Westley, the manager of table-topping side Stevenage, the only undefeated, untied side in the league, and owner of a 3-0 defeat of closest rival Doncaster on Saturday.

"I think that's a shame," Kettering manager Matthew Kieta said. "Not to take away from Mason, but Westley deserved that award more than anyone I know."

Kieta's side was itself handily defeated by Stevenage in the teams' second matches of the season.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote