View Single Post
Old 06-21-2003, 05:14 AM   #74
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 31, 2002

London Times

Real Madrid Takes The Super Cup

MONACO-- Spanish First Division heavyweight and Champions Cup holder Real Madrid won the 2003 European Super Cup with a dominating 3-0 victory Friday over Dutch Premier Division side Feyenoord.

Forward Raul and French midfield star Zinedine Zidane got Real Madrid off to a strong start with a score each in the first 24 minutes of the match, held on a sunny afternoon in front of 10,995 at Stade Louis II.

Argentinian midfielder Santiago Hernan Solari sealed the deal with a goal in the 61st minute.

Feyenoord, who won the right to play for the Super Cup by winning the UEFA Cup last season, was never really in this match, with Real Madrid dominating the ballplay with its bevy of stars. The Spanish side had 14 shots, including eight on target, to the Dutch club's six and four, respectively.

Real Madrid's French defensive midfielder Claude Makélélé had to leave the match in the eighth minute with an injury, but it turned out to be minor.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote