View Single Post
Old 06-20-2003, 11:27 PM   #73
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 31, 2002

Northampton Chronicle & Echo

Match Day

WOKING-- This week wasn't nearly as noisy as last week.

Kettering will play Woking today at Woking's home ground, the Kingfield Sport Ground, in the side's first action in a week. All Conference teams had the week off, with no midweek match.

Kettering last played last Saturday, when it defeated Scarborough, 2-0, at Rockingham Road in Kettering. Woking is coming off of a 2-1 road loss to Burton Albion.

Both teams have a win and two losses early in the season, although Woking gets the edge with an even goal differential, one better than the Poppies' -1 difference.

Woking has been one of the more exciting clubs to watch in the Conference in this early season. They rank among the league's leaders with seven goals already, but they also are among the league's worst defensively with a matching seven allowed.

The big man to watch is former Yeovil and Rushden star striker Warren Patmore. Patmore has four goals already in just three matches, which is twice as many as all of the Poppies together have scored as a team in the same period.

Other Conference Matches

Match of the Day Doncaster at Stevenage-- This one was easy. The schedule has nicely conspired to give us a matchup of the only two undefeated, un-tied sides in the Conference. The winner's manager probably gets the first Manager of the Month award for the season. The loser gets nothing, of course. For all their record similarities, these teams are coming from two different directions. The Rovers of Doncaster were picked to be a domiannt team this year, and they are proving so every match. They haven't been involved in a close one yet. Stevenage has been likewise dominating ont he pitch, but they haven't been rolling over opponents with their offense, scoring just four goals in their three wins. But Stevenage gets this one at home. Winner takes the spoils.

Also today:

Dag & Red at Barnet
Farnborough at Chester
Margate at Leigh
Hereford at Morecambe
Burton Albion at Northwich
Forest Green at Scarborough
Halifax at Southport
Nuneaton Borough at Telford
Kettering at Woking
Gravesend at Yeovil

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote