View Single Post
Old 06-20-2003, 10:33 PM   #72
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 29, 2002

London Times

Man U, Celtic Move on, Newcastle Falls In Champions Cup

CHAMPIONS CUP QUALIFYING-- Manchester United defeated Georgian club Kutaisi 4-0 Wednesday in the former Soviet republic to take a two-leg 8-0 victory and advance to the group stage of the Champions Cup. The Celtic beat FC Flora Tallin of Estonia 1-0 in Glasgow to take their leg 5-1, and also move on.

Newcastle United, however, was not so fortunate, despite a 3-0 defeat of Norway's Rosenborg in Newcastle Wednseday. They lost the leg on aggregate, 4-3, to the Norwegian club, thanks to a 4-0 defeat in Norway last week.

Among some other big name clubs that earned advancement via the qualifying yesterday was Germany's FC Bayern, Barcelona of Spain, AEK Athens of Greece, and Inter of Italy.

Newcastle was not alone in missing out on the group stage. Serie A AC Milan heavyweight also lost its leg yesterday, as did Auxerre of the French First League.

The group stage for the Champions Cup, which features the best European clubs of 2002-03, will start on September 9 in various venues.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-20-2003 at 10:35 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote