View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 08:14 AM   #342
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
henrik is good. ill give him that

but the devils just dont play a consistent game. they only seem to try 25 minutes a night.
To add to this, I'm being facetious here, but it seems like Brodeur is only trying 25 minutes a night, too.

During one of the intermissions last night, Stan Fischler brought up a good point. Brodeur isn't stickhandling the way that he used to. Now, that's not going to have a great effect on GAA over the course of a season, but in a single game, it can change things. Brodeur isn't making long passes to his teammates, and he isn't coming out of his crease to play the puck before it gets to the red line. He's not bring a third defenseman anymore, and that's something that's made the Devils successful on defense over the past several years.

Is it because of Brodeur's age and/or the physical toll of playing so many games each year, or is this Sutter's doing? Martin Brodeur has never been the kind of guy who only leaves his crease to stop rolling pucks behind the net, but that's what he's become. It's scary.