View Single Post
Old 06-20-2003, 02:16 AM   #66
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 23, 2002

London Times

Arsenal Purchase DaCourt From Leeds

LONDON-- Seeking some new blood at the back end of their midfield, Arsenal agreed to a £4.2 M transfer fee for the rights to well-regarded French midfielder Olivier DaCourt. DaCourt, in Italy, agreed to join the club soon after the transfer was announced.

DaCourt, 27, had been about to start a loan stint with Roma of the Serie A league in Italy. He was recalled Thursday and is returning to London.

The defensive midfielder was a fixture of Leeds' midfield in 2001-02, but his play became more limited last season. When it became clear that he wasn't going to get more playing time this season, Leeds put him on loan, which led to the brief move to Roma.

DaCourt joins a side which is well-known for its French stars. Striker Thierry Henry, attacking midfielder Robert Pires, and fellow defensive midfielder Patrick Vieira all applauded the decision to bring in their countryman Thursday.

"Olivier is a dedicated and hard-working player," Thierry said. "He will bring new life to this side, and give us excellent depth behind Patrick."

DaCourt has seen some very limited action with the French national team in recent years, appearing three matches so far.

Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger said he had long sought to bring DaCourt over to the Arsenal.

"He belongs here," Wenger said. "Leeds wasn't using him anyway."

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote