View Single Post
Old 06-18-2003, 04:22 PM   #63
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 21, 2003

Northant Evening Telegraph

Poppies Without Pop--On Offense

by Roger Terndon

On an uncharacteristically chippy July night, the Poppies were well-matched with the cold Tuesday at Stevenage. Well, at least they were on the rare occasions they ventured into the Boro's half of the pitch.

In their own end, they were as lively as ever--because they had to be. Stevenage was all over the place, and no one on the back line could keep up with strikers Charlie MacDonald or Anthony Elding.

The frustration on the Poppies' faces was palpable, and it registered itself with an ugly sort of match that I hope I have tow itness again few times in the future. The Poppies were nailed for 17 fouls, and I wouldn't argue too much with the officials in their calls either.

Not that that stopped the Poppies from doing so. At several points during the match, it was clear the Poppies were at odds with the whistle blowers. Wayne Duik got a dressing down. Danny Holyoak argued with a ref in the first half, and got a yellow card in the second. Niall Inman argued with a ref. Davy Williamson scored a yellow. It was just a brutal ugly match.

And through it all, the Poppies got just one shot off, by Shaun Murray, and they needed a free kick to get a chance at it (Murray shot it wide right).

If rigor mortis is the theme of the offense this season, and bitter in-fighting and ugly fouls is the standard on defense, than this is going to be a long, long season for the Poppies.

Will Saturday's match end the scoring drought for this side? It will be at the Rock, where the Poppies played much better against Barnet, and Scarborough is no Barnet Bees. We can only hope so.

At least it is now clear that manager Matthew Kieta is aware of the problems--we couldn't be too sure before. Word is he has worked out loan agreements for three upper division players, and all the talk this week has been about his filling out his coaching staff.

We'll meet the players and new staff tomorrow, but we won't know their impact for a bit longer, I fear

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-18-2003 at 04:23 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote