View Single Post
Old 06-18-2003, 04:03 PM   #62
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 21, 2003--midafternoon

Tommy Ridgely: And now for your daily Poppy news...

Many of you have expressed displeasure about the lack of scoring ways your Poppies have exhibited yet int his young season, but have no fear, Mr. Kieta hears you!

Even as we speak, Kettering Town has acquired the loan rights to three separate upper division players, including two strikers. And they are also horning on yet another coach and a couple more scouts.

But the big news comes from Glasgow! Sorry, folks, but Ray Houghton is NOT coming to Kettering Town. He gave a brief interview out front of his home in Scotland earlier today, announcing his decision.

Sound bite, Houghton: "I have decided to turn down Mr. Kieta's offer to join Kettering, after much thought on it. I feel I am more suited to upper division ball, and the Poppies just aren't there yet, although I have confidence they will be there one day."

Is this a bitter blow for Poppies, coming off their miserable performance last night? Or does this just mean more monies for other ends?

Houghton, who delighted us with creative play on the pitch from the grounds of Liverpool and Aston Villa, and whom we hated as a leader of the Irish national side, is regarded as a potential future manager. Did the fact he wouldn't be assistant manager at least figure into it? Houghton wouldn't say, but my gut says yes.

No word yet on who the players or the coaches are that the Poppies are bringing in, but Kettering has announced a press conference tomorrow at the Rock at noon to discuss the moves and the Poppies...

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote