View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 09:46 AM   #136
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Markov is awesome. The guy is legitimately crazy. His career highlights include:
- Getting suspended in the minors for shooting the puck at a referee
- Getting suspended in the minors for attacking a mascot
- Standing at the blueline and doing the Jagr salute at the Penguins after the Leafs knocked them out of the playoffs
- Getting hit in the face with a slapshot in the playoffs against Ottawa, then trash-talking their bench as he skated off with blood spurting out of his head

Seriously, I would love to have him back on Toronto. He's easily one of my favorite non-Leaf players.

As to why nobody is signing him, basically two things. He wants a lot of money ($3.5M) which is a little higher than his skills would warrant. And also, he's had problems with alcohol in the past that may or may not be under control.

Agreed on all accounts. He's also a chain-smoker, apparently, so there is some concern for his overall endurance.

Last year, early in the season, he put an amazing open ice hit on some Oiler. I don't recall who it was, but Markov just obliderated the guy. One of the best open ice hits I've seen in years.

Moreau went after Markov in a fight to get back at him and ended up dislocating his shoulder before the fight ever started. It ened Moreau's season.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote