View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 09:42 AM   #135
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Dola

I just read on Yahoo that the Devils are looking to trade Richard Matvichuk. I haven't seen much of the Devils yet this year, but if Matvichuk doesn't fit into Sutter's system, it'd be nice to let him go now. It seems like such a waste, though. Matvichuk only played in one regular-season game last year because of the salary cap (although he was steady in the playoffs). The guy basically only got to play one season in New Jersey and wasted all of last year without any ice time. I don't see what the Devils can get for him, especially since it's been announced that he's not wanted anymore.

For even more comedy, Yahoo lists Danny Markov as a potential signing for the Devils. If Markov signs with New Jersey, that would be his sixth team in the past six seasons. I don't know a whole lot about him, but with Maple Leafs and a couple of Red Wings fans here, maybe somebody can tell me why nobody seems to want to keep this guy?

Markov was great last year for Detroit. He was a steady defenseman and has a bit of an edge to him. I liked him fine. The only reason he is not back in Detroit is because he was asking for too much money. He signed a 1 year, $2.5 million deal last year. The Wings were looking to bring him back at about the same, but Markov was looking at a longer term deal at a higher price. Considering the Wings went out and signed Rafalski to a big deal and had some capable 5-6 defensemen in their system (Meech, Quincey, and Ericsson), they didn't feel the need to meet Markov's demands.

The Wings' tactics seem to be to pay their "big" guys a lot, like Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Rafalski and soon to be Zetterberg. They then look for the rest of the team on the cheap. They low ball everyone, bring in some unsiged free agents and hope someone sticks. It worked pretty well with Cleary. They tried the same with Sopel this year, but he bolted for Chicago. I can't blame him. He got $1.5 million from the Blackhawks, which, I am guessing, is about twice what he would have received from the Wings.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote