View Single Post
Old 06-18-2003, 04:38 AM   #60
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 21, 2002

Northampton Chronicle & Echo

Poppies Punchless In Defeat

STEVENAGE-- For all the lively news this side has generated in the papers the past few days, the players themselves might as well be comatose.

Stevenage defeated the Poppies, 1-0, in a match that wasn't nearly as close as it would seem Tuesday night. The Boro' dominated the ballplay, and never let the Poppies get a sniff at the goal, allowing just one wayward shot in the net's general direction.

The Conference match at Stevenage was the Boro's home opener, and both teams' second match of the season, which opened Saturday.

The Poppies were fortunate to escape with just a 1-0 loss, as the Boro' had a goal by striker Anthony Elding disallowed for an offsides in the 37th minute, and home team peppered Kettering's keeper Ian Bowling with 11 shots, five on target.

The difference maker came early. In the 18th minute, Elding, who was sharp all match, got a breakaway from a long pass and broke toward the box. He dished off to his forward partner Charlie MacDonald, and Bowling was unable to cross over in time to stop the close up MacDonald's blast into the lower right corner of the net.

Both MacDonald and Elding were extremely active in front of the net, getting several good chances. Elding gained reknown as an exciting striker with Boston United last season, the side which would eventually win the Conference and move up to the League.

The Poppies seemed to be stunted by an inability to pass, as Stevenage's pressure system and able passing limited Kettering's ability to move the ball effectively or take it back from the Boro'.

The offensive lethargy is likely to bring some heat on new Kettering manager Matthew Kieta, who's side has failed to score in its first two matches of the season, and hasn't scored in a match at all since its second to last friendly on August 1.

The Poppies have been garnering national attention for their pursuit of former Irish international-Liverpool-Aston Villa midfield star Ray Houghton for their coaching staff.

Kieta refused comment after the match, and refused to allow the media to talk to the players.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote