View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #40
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Just when things seem to be getting exciting in Edmonton (possibility that we'll see a Cogliano/Gagner/Pouliot line on Thursday), they go and do something like this:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=219716&hubname=nhl

Long story short, Stortini (closest thing we have to an enforcer) is sent down (which I can understand with our forward situation), and also sent down is Ladislav Smid.

I just simply can't fathom the second move. The kid proved time and again last year that not only is he read for the NHL game, but that he is also ready to be a leader on the team, numerous times mucking it up and being the first one to defend a team mate.

I know Souray/Pitkanen/Staios are all assured spots as (imho) should have Smid and Greene barring horrific showings in the preseason. Having Smid up here to learn the nuances of the offensive side of the game from Souray and Pitkanen while continuing to grow his defensive game learning from Huddy, Staios and Greene could have seen him become maybe our best all around defenseman by years end.

Instead, we get to watch Dick Tarnstrom on opening night then two of Greene/Grebeshkov/Gilbert. Gilbert had some great flashes at the end of last season and Grebeshkov is supposed to be a bit ahead of him, but I have heard nothing to suggest either is on par with where Smid was last year. Greene should be a regular starter right now and should be a 4/5 guy already, knowing MacT though, he'll probably end up being the guy in the press box more often than not when the rest of the crew are healthy.

I don't know enough to comment on Smid, but sending Zortini down seems fine. I like the guy. I love having guys like that in the league, but the Oilers don't need him. They have enough toughness in Greene, Staois, Moreau, etc.

The Oilers will be an interesting team, as always, to watch.

This season has really snuck up on me.

I assume I have the NHL Center Ice package. I didn't re-order it, but I had it last year and I think it re-news itself. Anyone know if that's the case?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote