View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 03:47 PM   #31
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
well i find this utterly fascinating:

Brent Sopel has left the camp of the Detroit Red Wings and signed a contract with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Sopel signed a one-year contract with the Blackhawks, believed to be worth $1.5 million.

He had been in Detroit's training camp on a tryout basis, and was offered a contract by the Red Wings shortly before signing with Chicago.

who chooses the hawks over the red wings? unless there was an huge money difference, or told him theyd pay him to play in the minors....why?!

The Wings offered Sopel a contract a few days before. I would have to believe it was probably around half of what he got from the Blackhawks. I think the Wings considered Sopel to be a 5-7th defensemen, who would struggle to see consistant ice time.

He obviously got a much richer contract from the Blackhawks and is likely to see a lot more ice time. I was hoping Sopel would work out in Detroit, since I think they could use his shot from the point after losing Schneider, but I guess it was not meant to be. It looks like it will be Derek Meech for the time being.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote