View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 08:15 PM   #2064
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
in KC, we're a little more concerned about the bottom. Ok, maybe no one is since I had to do a lot of digging to find out about draft orders:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standing...type=wild+card

Apparently, they are no longer doing the alternating league thing- it's strictly by lowest record. The other thing I didn't know until I looked it up is that the tiebreaker is pick from last year. For instance, if Kansas City ties with Pittsburgh for the 2nd worst record in the league, KC would get the 2nd pick since they picked lower last year (2 vs 4 last year). Tampa has clinched back-to-back 1st overall picks for the first time in history. Then there's a cluster of teams vying for those next picks (team, last years pick, wins):
Pittsburgh (4), 68 wins
Kansas City (2), 69 wins
Baltimore (5), 69 wins
Florida (10), 70 wins
San Fransisco (12), 70 wins
Cincinnati (15), 71 wins
Houston (17), 72 wins
Chicago AL (25), 72 wins
Washington (6), 73 wins

(keep in mind, this is all my own homework and no fact checking really done so I may be off with something).

So, for instance, with KC, they have three scenarios. If they lose and Pittsburgh loses, the Royals (69) pick 3rd as the Pirates (68) 2nd. If KC (69, 2) loses and Pittsburgh (69, 4) wins, KC has the tiebreaker from last year and they pick 2nd.

If KC (70, 2) wins, Pittsburgh (68/69, 4) automatically gets 2nd and the rest depends on Baltimore (69/70, 5). If Baltimore loses, they would get 3rd, losing out to Pittsburgh on the 4th vs 5th last year tiebreaker. But, if Baltimore wins, they get 4th as KC would edge them on the tiebreaker.

My favorite scenario at the bottom is KC winning, getting them to 70. Baltimore winning, giving KC the 3rd pick. And then San Fran and Florida both losing, giving all 4 of those teams 70 wins, making the Royals tied for 6th worst record in the league rather than lower but still getting that #3 pick

SI

Ok, so here's how it played out unless my maths deceive me:

1. Tampa Bay
2. Pittsburgh
3. Kansas City
4. Baltimore
5. Florida
6. San Francisco
7. Cincinnati
8. Chicago (AL)
9. Washington
10. Houston