View Single Post
Old 06-17-2003, 02:19 AM   #59
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 20, 2002

Northhampton Chronicle & Echo

Match Day

KETTERING-- By the time you read this, the Poppies will already be on their way to Stevenage for their first away match in the Conference this season. The match will be played tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Broadway Hall, the Boro's home ground.

The Kettering-Stevenage is just one of a full slate of Conference matchups tonight, as the full table will be in action.

Kettering lost its home opener to Barnet, 2-0, on Saturday, while Stevenage beat Scarborough on the road, 1-0.

Although Kettering did well on offense early in its preseason friendly, it has failed to score in its last two matches, including the friendly-fixture-ending shutout loss to Leyton Orient on August 6. It is also regarded as a team that is not too deep nor talented up front.

Kieta said he might do some lineup tinkering tonight.

"Don't hold me to it, though," Kieta said. "Or expect me to stay consistent. As a side, we are still trying to find the best lineup and tactic that works well together, and you will likely see me tinkering with this for a while yet. I also like to make regular rotations, and few of the guys will be playing in most of the matches this season, as I try to keep everyone fresh."

Kieta said centre back Bret Solkhon would not be available tonight, as he is still recovering from a tough Barnet match, which hit the Poppies' fullbacks hard.

Other Conference Matchups

Match of the Night: Doncaster at Morecambe-- These two teams are both expected to be among the best sides in the Conference this year, although they got off to different starts on Saturday. The Rovers rolled over Leigh RMI, 2-0, at home Saturday, but the Shrimps of Morecambe fell in a tough defensive battle at Forest Green, 1-0.

Also tonight:

Forest Green at Barnet
Gravesend & Northfleet at Burton Albion
Margate at Chester
Dag & Red at Leigh RMI
Halifax at Northwich
Nuneaton Borough at Southport
Kettering at Stevenage
Hereford at Telford
Scarborough at Woking
Farnborough at Yeovil

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote