View Single Post
Old 06-17-2003, 02:01 AM   #58
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 20, 2002

Northhampton Chronicle & Echo

Kieta Confirms Houghton Interest

KETTERING-- Kettering Town manager Matthew Kieta confirmed that the Poppies have made an offer to former midfield star Ray Houghton to serve as a coach with the side this season.

Getting Houghton, 40, would be a public relations coup for the financially frugal Poppies, as his presence would likely garner much further interest in the club. Houghton, who has coached with Crystal Palace, is better known for his playing days with Liverpool and Aston Villa in the 1990s, and for his turns with the Irish national side.

"Handling a club this large is time consuming, so I need the help," Kieta said. "I have a healthy respect for the experience and leadership abilities of a man like [Houghton]."

Kieta said he has spoken to Houghton, currently at his home in Glasgow, Scotland, on the phone and that the interest is mutual if financials can be arranged.

There are rumors that if Houghton were hired, he might be given Steve Thompson's assistant manager spot, a position Thompson was hired for just last month. Kieta denied the rumors, though, saying he "made the right choice the first time" with Thompson.

Houghton, as a former Division One coach and having such reknown in the British Isles, is expected to be a costly hire for any club below the top levels, but Kieta said that both sides were aware of the Poppies' financial situation and were trying to work a way around it.

Kieta gave no timetable for when a decision might be reached.

Houghton could not be reached for comment, nor could team chairman Peter Mallinger.

The Poppies also hired a new coach, Shaun Reid, on Sunday, contributing to a confusing media storm surrounding the rumors on Houghton. Kieta said Reid would be of immense help with a lot fo the fitness-based coaching, as he has physio experience and is a noted workout feind from his playing days.

"If anyone can help my trainers get our guys into shop and still playing in top form, Andy can," Kieta assured.

Kieta refused to comment on any further staff movements, or rumors of player movements as well.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote