View Single Post
Old 06-17-2003, 01:43 AM   #57
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 19, 2002

Northampton Chronicle & Echo

Poppies Sign New Coach--But Not Houghton

KETTERING-- The Kettering Town Poppies announced Sunday they had hired well-regarded coach Shaun Reid to help with team training and match preparation, even as rumors were flying throw the soccer world that the Conference side was actually pursuing former Irish midfield star Ray Houghton to serve ina similar capacity.

Reid, 36, has served with several lower level clubs in recent years, after a playing career of little note ended a decade ago.

Confusion abounded when the team announced the hiring, since reports Sunday indicated they were pursuing Houghton, who starred for Liverpool and Aston Villa in the early 90s, and was a stalwart of Ireland's national team for much of the last 20 years.

Kieta refused to comment Sunday, and the team offices were closed, so little hint has been given on whether the Houghton reports are false or were mixed up with the Reid hiring.

One team source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the Houghton offer was real, and wholely separate from the Reid deal. This source also indicated that Kieta was heavily in the midst of a large round fo both staff and player moves, many of which will be announced over the next few days.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote