View Single Post
Old 06-17-2003, 01:32 AM   #56
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 18, 2002

Northant Evening Telegraph

Poppies Courting Houghton?

KETTERING-- Kettering manager Matthew Kieta is still looking to fill out his staff.

Is Ray Houghton available?

Rumors abound that the Conference Poppies have made an offer for the former Irish international midfield star to join the coaching staff. Houghton, a former coach of Crystal Palace after 20-year career which included top turns with Liverpool and Aston Villa, has been interested in re-entering the coaching ranks since his dismissal from Crystal Palace last season.

Kieta could not be reached for comment, and the team offices at Rockingham Road were closed Sunday.

Houghton, reached at his home in Glasgow, Scotland, would not comment on any offers he had received.

The Poppies hired Steve Thompson last month to be the side's assistant manager, but Kieta has often expressed a desire to expand the coaching and scouting staffs.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote