Old 09-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #413
molson
General Manager

WORLD CLASS WRESTLING (TV TAPING)
Tuesday, Week 3, March 1984
Dallas, TX (Small Venue)
Expected Attendance: 5,352; Ticket Prices: +$4 over default
Actual Attendance: 5,000 (SOLD OUT)

-Kerry Von Erich is still suspended, and will not take part in this show.

-Pre-Show Dark Match
The Road Warriors defeat Frank Dusek & Doug Sommers in 8:35 when Animal pinned Sommers. (D+). Animal seemed off his game. Sommers was limited by his nagging migraine issue. After the match, Lance Russell interviewed the debuting Road Warriors (D).

-Pre-Show Dark Match
King Kong Bundy defeated Owen Hart in 2:18 by pinfall. (C). The two showed poor chemistry.

-Fritz Von Erich came to the ring. He hypes the Last Man Standing event to take place next week, and says that there may be some wrestlers from "out of town" who will be eligible to be drafted in the "Lethal Lottery". He repeats that the eventual winner of the event will get the coveted 4th 1st-round bye spot in the 12-man King of Texas Tournament to be held in April (for the vacant WCCW World title). He says that since Bob Backlund, David Von Erich, and Michael Hayes already have the other 3 first-round byes, they won't take part in the Lethal Lottery. Instead, they'll face each other in a 3-way match in the main event that night. Fritz says there'll be a lot at stake in that match as well, as the winner will get to choose his quarter-final opponent at Last Man Standing, from the winners of the 1st-round matches that night. (B-)

-Lance Russell interviews Terry Gordy about his match tonight against his former Freebird partner, Jimmy Garvin. Gordy says he hopes Garvin has an open mind, because he may have a business proposition for him. (C)

-Ted Dibiase defeats Tommy Rodgers in 6:31 by pinfall. (C+). After the match, Dibiase cuts a lengthy promo, saying he's beaten everyone WCCW has put in front of him, and he's ready to go to the next level. He says one way or another, he's getting into the King of Texas Wrestling tournament, and he'll be the next world champion. (B)

-Lance Russel interviews Boris Malenko about his client, The Russian Nightmare, Nikita Koloff. Malenko says his man is eying the world title as well, and he's saving a special victory cigar for that night. (C)

-Buddy Roberts come out to the announce table, puts on a headset, and tells Russell and Marc Lowerence that he's put together a video that he wants played. Russell tries to tell Roberts that they have a schedule for the show in front of them, and don't see anything about a video from Roberts. Roberts continues to harass them, and suddenly, the video kicks in. The video shows Roberts performing a series of good deeds around the Dallas community, working at a soup kitchen, helping an old lady cross a street - it appears to be completely staged, and again, the fans and Russell aren't buying the shtick at all. (C)

-Terry Gordy and Jimmy Garvin are announced for their match, and are both in the ring. Gordy says he has a business proposition for Garvin - dump Hayes, and re-form the Freebirds with Gordy. Garvin and Precious both look intrigued, and begin talking amongst themselves. Michael Hayes then runs down the ring, grabs a mic, and tells Gordy that the answer is no, that Garvin wants no part of Gordy. He then yells to the timekeeper to ring the bell, which he does, and the match is on (with no official answer from Garvin). (C+)

-Terry Gordy defeated Jimmy Garvin in 12:41 by pinfall, despite interference from Michael Hayes. (B-)

-A video is played hyping the Tiger Mask/Villano III feud, and their mask v. mask match at Last Man Standing next week. The video shows highlights of their match at Mexican Invasion, Villano's attacks on Tiger Mask, and both of their promos over the last few months. (B-)

-Adrian Adonis & Villano III defeated Roddy Piper & Tiger Mask when Adonis pinned Piper in 20:39 after interference from Skandor Akbar, and while Tiger Mask was occupied outside the ring with Villano III and Gary Hart. (B).

-David Von Erich defeated Michael Hayes in 13:43 by pinfall. (B+)

Overall Show Rating: B- (The show can be considered a success, it should have increased our overall popularity)

THOUGHTS:

-I still can't pull off the elusive "B" rating (23 straight shows without one), but another solid show.

-I hope the the world title/last man standing/king of texas wrestling stuff isn't too complicated. It's just my attempt to have as many matches as possible really "mean something". To recap, 12-man tournament at the King of Texas Wrestling Show for the vacant world title. There will be 4 1st-round byes. Backlund, David, and Hayes get three of the byes. The 4th will go to the winner of Last Man Standing event (which is the Lethal Lottery/Battle Bowl concept - 5 tag team matches, with randomly drawn participants, with the 5 winning teams taking part in a battle royal at the end of the tonight). Hayes/Backlund/David have a 3-way match that night, and the winner will be able to pick his quarter-final opponent at Last Man Standing, from the men who won their first round matches that night. Finally, the remaining 8 contestants in the tournament will be determined in a series of "qualification matches" over the next few weeks. Got all that?

-I'm surprised the odd tag match pairing in the semi-main event got such a good rating. It's cool to see Tiger Mask & Villano III develop into reliable U.S. main event-caliber stars.

-Hayes and Gordy are fighting over the Freebird group, but I'm being careful not to have them get too physically involved with each other right now, in case I decide to have them team back up with Roberts and reunite the original group (and have Gordy turn on whatever babyface friends he makes by then, as part of the "plan all along"). Of course, Garvin's now out of the company soon anyway, so he's not really a factor.

-The Dibiase "B" level promo is a great sign that he's a legitimate world title contender. He now has greater overness in Texas than anywhere else.

-I don't know if the Road Warriors are going to be good fit with us - their debut match on the pre-show was awful. I'll give them a chance to build up popularity in our main regions and see how the crowd responds.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote