View Single Post
Old 06-13-2003, 11:20 PM   #52
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

VOIDED--THIS DIDN't HAPPEN

August 21, 2002

Northampton Chronicle & Echo

Poppies Zeroed Again

STEVENAGE-- Two matches into the season, and the Poppies have yet to score a goal.

After being shut out by Barnet Saturday, the Kettering Town Conference side was shut out again, 1-0, by Stevenage Borough at Broadhall Way in Stevenage on Tuesday--and it wasn't really that close.

The Boro' dominated the match, putting constant pressure on the Poppies' defense and on goalkeeper Ian Bowling. They took 13 shots, including nine on net, to the Poppies' two. They also had an amazing 16-1 advantage in corners.

The Poppies did well to limit the Boro' in the first half, allowing just five shots on net. But the Boro' came out strong in the second half, when they were constantly in the Poppies' half of the pitch.

In the 48th minute, Barnet midfield import Leon Bell drove a spectacular drive through a gaping hole in Kettering's defense, forcing Bowling to make a hard save on the shot. That left him in poor position for the followup, though, as striker Justin Richards stepped up to knock in the rebound for the match's only score.

The Poppies' best chance came just before Richard's score. Striker Carlin Itonga made a brilliant tackle on sweeper Jason Goodliffe to free up the ball in the Boro' end of the pitch. Itonga had a free run to the net, but appeared to take too long to commit to a shot. Stevenage defender Barry Laker came around and knocked the ball away from itonga before he could get a shot off.

Kettering next plays Scarborough at Rockingham Road on Saturday.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-16-2003 at 11:38 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote