View Single Post
Old 06-13-2003, 09:58 PM   #39
aej
n00b

As with most things, some people love it and some hate it.

We had unedited CART races for a couple of seasons on one of our terrestrial channels and I used to enjoy the street races and hated the Handford wing ovals. Now they show NASCAR Busch and IRL and it's real yawn-a-minute stuff! They still show CART and Winston Cup on cable and there are people that love those and have no interest in F1 or 'Euro-domestic' series.

CART are having as much trouble getting settled in Europe as F1 is in the USA with Germany's Lausitzring oval being in financial trouble and our Rockingham oval race being replaced by one on the Brands Hatch road circuit.

I speak as someone who has had varying levels of interest in USAC/CART since Lotus were trying to break in, in the mid-60s, while Mario Andretti was trying to break out.

Trivia notes: The Brands Hatch race was run on the short Indy Circuit and I was at the USAC race which caused the name change in the 70s.

In the 60s Europe was way behind the US in sponsorship terms and I thought the Dean Van Lines Special was a car built by someone with Dutch ancestry.