View Single Post
Old 06-13-2003, 09:26 PM   #37
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by aej
Not strictly true - F3000 is just another series that feeds into F1. Only 2 of the current grid, of 20, moved straight from FIA F3000 only to F1 and only 5 more did it from a combined F3000 season/F1 testing contract. It's still possible to move straight from one of the respected junior series, like British or German F3, the way Trulli and Button did it.

Finance is also a factor, sometimes more important than skill. Ralph Firman got the Jordan drive this season ahead of seemingly better qualified drivers because, as reigning Nippon champion, he was able to bring money to the cash-strapped team rather than them paying someone else.

I don't know much about NASCAR, but the "Tradin' Paint" stunt that happened this week seemed to show that Jeff Gordon might have what it takes to succeed in F1. He'd need to avoid the Michael Andretti "only turn up for the races" approach though!

Yeah, I meant in theory, but like you said it doesn't always happen that way. As seen in CART this year, finances are becoming huge. At least four rides are being bought, and those are usually the four guys at the bottom of the scoresheet.

As neat as it would be to see Jeff Gordon in F1 (it'd be funny, just like Andretti) he will never leave NASCAR. I think the best shot is either A.J. Allmendinger or Phil Giebler. Either way if one makes it there, I hope it's not for the sake of having an American there.

AEJ- Just wondering what the view on American open-wheel racing is, in your part of the world.

TLK
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote