Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 AM   #33
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
1 - He started around 25 games in his career, thats above average
2 - How about physical reality? see the following:
3 - Yes
4 - His QB rating was amongst the NCAA's best(2nd if I remember correctly), and he engineered more 4th quarter comebacks than any QB in LSU history
5 - He completed 67.8%(!) of his passes his last year

He may not end up being all that and a bag of chips in the NFL. But Russell got the job done in the win column and in the stat column in college and he has the skills to project in the pros. What more can one legitimately ask for him as a QB prospect?

Its like people expect him to bust not because of actual indicators, but because he is a big strong armed QB who the public didn't know enough about before his last year at LSU. (Which is a ridiculous reason to assume that hes all physical talent and bust-worthy. Playing right into the media's hands...)

Synovia is getting his info from the Pro Football Prospectus. (I made some of my decisions from that too, thought I really liked Kolb a lot to begin with) NOTE: This is a MUST get book if you love football. Seriously, just buy it.

Some of your points:

1) 29 college starts is NOT above average for top 3 round NFL QB prospect. It's below average. Looking at the guys around him this year, you have Quinn (46), Kolb (50), Beck (38) and Stanton (29). Stanton would have played far more had it not been for injury.

2) He does have great physical potential, but his mental ability was questioned by plenty of LSU fans over the last couple of seasons. Against the 3 best defenses he saw last year (Auburn, Tennessee and Florida) he threw 4TD and 6 INTand had a low QB rating in every one of those games.

3) The multiple picks thing is important here.

4) His QB rating was nice. 3rd in the country behind Brennan and Beck. Just ahead of Tyler Palko and Jared Zabransky. How good of pros do you think those two will be?

5) He completed a high percentage of his passes last year. But see #3. He had 2 NFL #1 picks at WR to throw the ball to. Not a lot of college QB's have that luxury.

As far as the rest, it's just my opinion. I didn't watch Russell last year and think I was watching greatness. I saw a guy who could simply throw rockets down the field when given time. Some of his passes got me out of my seat. Others shocked me in how poor the decision was. I think his release is slow, that he struggles against good defenses and any kind of pressure at all will cause horrific decisions on his part. I think he was a first round pick, but I don't think he was the best QB or the #1 overall player.

Now, he's helping my cause with the holdout. Very, very few guys have ever skipped a year of NFL football and been effective when they've came back. Some of them aren't even QB's. As a QB, he needs all the work he can get as quickly as he can get it. He's already down the road to being a bust before he even gets into camp.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote