View Single Post
Old 06-13-2003, 04:05 PM   #31
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SunDancer
King,

Prolly knowledgable bout open-wheel racing biz.

I actually meant with a new start-up series. I believe that if the series could get a good manufactuor, like Audi, to help it for the first year, and launch with 12 races for its first year, with the formula above, it could be pretty good. By making it an North American series, but still holding the bulk of the series in the states, you have the ability to tap into the Mexican and Canadian corporate market, fan base, television markets as well as talent.

I actually drawn it up more in detailed, if you like to hear it out. I believe open-wheel racing can thrive, it's just been hunged down by poor management. I believe F1 could be much bigger here with an American or two on the circuit who can compete. I think Michael Andretti helped carry it here when he raced in the series.

Is the Indy Lights series dead? What makes a development series so key, and is could be it a great tool? What makes a great development series?

I think so much damage has been down to open-wheel racing, it would be hard to start an operation from scratch. First, the ISC has a stranglehold on pretty much any oval you'd wanna run in the US (sans Milwaukee). This will be CART's last year at Fontana because of this. The IRL is lucky there in bed with the ISC.

You're right on with including Mexico and Canada. Those races are saving CART right now. It mind-blowing to think the race in Mexico City will have more spectators than the Indy 500. I'd love to hear any thoughts on the revitalization of open-wheel racing in America.

F1 couldn't care less if there is an American in their series. Nonetheless, I think in a few years there will be an American or two. Bryan Herta had a test-ride with Minardi but nothing came of it. Right now in F3000 there are three Americans. One of them, Phil Geibler is special, although he hasn't excelled in his two F3000 races. Red Bull is also pushing to get an American in F1. They run an "American Idol" of racing for Americans. Red Bull Driver Search

Indy Lights was basically merged into Toyota Atlantics at the beginning of last season. Some of the Lights teams went to the Infinity League and some moved on to Atlantics. As stated earlier, the jump from Atlantics is too great to be competitve in CART. The main problem being the car in Atlantics is too easy to drive. Also, a knock on Atlantics is that it is too expensive for a feeder series. I will say they've had some competitive races this year, however.

TLK

Last edited by TLK : 06-13-2003 at 04:07 PM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote