View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 11:13 AM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Russel is refusing to sign because he feels that having his contract be performance/behavior modified is unfair.

IE, they want his salary to be dependant on playing time, etc. If he does something stupid (like pacman/vick) they want to be able to let him go with little cap implications. He is refusing to sign that, which is absurd, because almost all the contracts in the last 3 years have been that way. It really makes me think hes got some skeletons.

As to Anti-Trust exemptions, the NFL has just as many as the MLB, and can do pretty much whatever the hell it wants with rookie salaries.

I think from his perspective and his agent's perspective, it's unprecedented, it's unfair and not something that they ought to be demanding out of a pick as high as he was. And so, if they think they can win without him, they ought to. But every day they wait, is the diminished return on his value they get and so, they're being kinda silly. He'll play somewhere sooner than later and given that Quinn could hold out and still do pretty well in the pre-season and the fact that the kids sit for years without playing often times anyway, I don't think being in camp with Boy Wonder the coach and the dysfunctional Raiders was going to demonstrably help his career.

And if Randy Moss redeems himself a la Corey Dillon in New England, it'll just bolster JaMarcus Russell's case to never play there at all.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote