molson
General Manager

WORLD CLASS WRESTLING (TV TAPING)
Tuesday, Week 2, February 1984
Belton, TX (Small Venue)
Expected Attendance: 5,352; Ticket Prices: +$4 over default
Actual Attendance: 5,000 (SOLD OUT)

-Pre-Show Segment
David Von Erich comes to the ring and cuts a promo about the David/Hayes/Backlund situation. David says he used to respect Backlund, and he considered him his toughest opponent. But now, Backlund's trying to win the title only to make a quick buck from Michael Hayes. The fact that Backlund's trying to "sell" the world heavyweight title makes David all the more determined to defend it. David says that Backlund has officially been named #1 contender, and he'll face him at Mexican Invasion. (A).

-Pre-Show Dark Match
Nikita Koloff defeats Tommy Rodgers in 7:38 by pinfall. (D) After the match, Boris Malenko hypes his client. (C+)

-Gary Hart comes to the ring with Chris Adams, Brian Adias, and King Kong Bundy. Hart says he has some major news. First, it's taken a couple of weeks to finalize the contract, but it's now official, Hart's newest client is the man that destroyed Manny Fernandez - Bruiser Brody comes to the ring. Hart says that Brody stepped up where that "coward" Terry Funk failed. Hart then spends several minutes running down Funk and criticizing his no-show at January Star Wars.

-Hart then asks The Great Kabuki to come to the ring. Hart says even though Kabuki "lost his cool" several weeks ago and sprayed Hart in the face with the green mist, he's still under contract, and he has something to say to him as well. Kabuki comes to the ring (to a decent ovation from the crowd), looking tentative and suspicious of Hart.

-Hart says that he can offer the five men in the ring everything wrestling has to offer - money, titles, and power. He says that tonight, he wants to see who can stand up to the pressure. He's booked 5 matches tonight, involving the 5 members of the Hart Limited Stable. He says that anyone who wins tonight, stays in the group. Anyone that looses, is out.

-Hart then announces the "challenge" matches - Bruiser Brody will take on two men in a handicap match: Owen Hart and Steve Armstrong. Brian Adias will wrestle one-half of the tag team champions, Bobby Eaton. King Kong Bundy will face a man that has defeated him in the last several months, Tiger Mask. The Great kabuki will take on Iceman Parsons. And finally, Chris Adams faces Kevin Von Erich in a rematch for the WCCW TV title. (C-)

-2-on-1 Handicap Match
-Hart Limited, Challenge Match
Bruiser Brody defeated Owen Hart & Steve Armstrong in 3:37 when Brody pinned Armstrong. Brody dominated the two younger wrestlers, and remains in Hart Limited. (C)

-A mini-documentary is played featuring an in-depth interview with the "new" Buddy Roberts. He apologies again for injuring Mike Von Erich, and claims that he has "turned over a new leaf". The fans still aren't buying it. (C-)

-Buddy Roberts defeats Al Perez in 5:42 by pinfall. (C). Roberts was over-the-top in his "sportsmanship", shaking hands with the referee and Perez before the match, clean breaks, etc.

-Fritz Von Erich came out the announce position. Fritz says that while it's true that Bob Backlund has been named #1 contender, Fritz has decided that Backlund is going to put that position on the line tonight. Frtiz says Backlund will face Kerry Von Erich, with the winner to take on David Von Erich at Mexican Invasion. After Fritz leaves, the announcers express surprise at this decision, considering Kerry's mediocre win/loss record of late. Marc Lowerence speculates that Kerry is again threatening to leave WCCW, and Fritz is trying to placate him. (B)

-Hart Limited, challenge match
Brian Adias defeats Bobby Eaton in 6:32 with brass knuckles to the face behind the referee's back. Adias remains in Hart Limited. (C)

King Kong Bundy defeated Tiger Mask in 6:42 by DQ after Villano III interfered in the match, attacking Tiger Mask. (B-) After the match, Tiger Mask was the victim of a 2-1 attack. (B-). Villano III then grabs a mic and tells Tiger Mask he's ready to reveal the surprise he talked about last week - Villano III then introduces his new manager, Gary Hart, who comes to the ring. (C+) Hart puts over Villano III has the hottest free agent in WCCW. Hart says that Villano's record has been nearly perfect, and that he's ready to lead Villano III to the top. (C+).

-Michael Hayes and Bob Backlund comes to the ring. Hayes blasts Fritz Von Erich for showing favoritism to his "boy" again, and giving Kerry a shot at Backlund for the #1 contender slot tonight. (B+)

-WCCW World Championship - #1 Contender Match
Bob Backlund defeated Kerry Von Erich in 10:56 by submission to remain the #1 contender to David's title. (B-)

The Great Kabuki drew with Iceman Parsons in 3:52 by double countout. Right when the bell rang, Parsons grabbed a mic and asked Kabuki if he really wanted to be back in Hart's stable. Parsons said he'd be happy to wrestle him, but argued that it'd be best for Kabuki just to get rid of Hart now. Kabuki goes outside the ring, goes face to face with Hart, and then sprays him in the face with green mist yet again (3rd time total). Quickly, Bruiser Brody comes to the outside area and attacks Kabuki. Parsons tries to come to the rescue, but Brody destroys him too. This leads to a double countout. Kabuki is officially out of Hart Limited. (B)

-WCCW Television Championship Match
-Hart Limited, Challenge Match
Kevin Von Erich defeats Chris Adams in 8:31 with a handful of tights to make his 3rd title defense (C). Adams is out of Hart Limited, and is enraged. He takes out his frustration on Kevin Von Erich, attacking him after the match. David Von Erich comes to the ring to help Kevin. David throws Adams from the ring, and checks on Kevin. (B-) Then, the newest lineup of Hart Limited as of the end of the night (Brody, Bundy, Adias, and Villano III), surround the ring, and quickly overwhelm David and Kevin, attacking both for several minutes. (B). Before long however, a returning Terry Funk runs to the ring with a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire. He helps to repel Hart Limited from the ring, giving a baseball bat shot to everyone in the group except Brody, who slips away. (B) David, Kevin, and Funk are in the ring together as the show ends

Overall Show Rating: C

THOUGHTS:

-My show rating got burned by a minor bug in the game. I had advertised Bruiser Brody v. TBA. I then booked him against two guys in a handicap match. When I hit "analyze show", I got the "all clear" message, which means that the road agent was accepting the Brody match as fulfilling the advertised booking. But then, I get the penalty anyway. So that sucks, because this was an absolutely wild show that deserved better.

-The WWE used to run a lot of these "theme" shows where most or all of the matches tie in with one storyline, this was basically a version of that. Chris Adams and Gary Hart had zero chemistry, so this was a way to get him out of the group without turning him face again. He'll take on Lord Alfred Hayes as a manger soon.

-Kabuki is also out off the Hart group. As I said, he'll get a very brief run as a babyface, but I'm expecting he'll be trimmed from the roster before long. Otherwise, Bundy & Adias stay in the group, and are joined by Villano III and Brody.

-In addition to the advertised match bug, we were hurt by the mediocre Adams/Kevin main event. I think part of that was that the win was "tainted" by Kevin grabbing the tights for leverage. This is still 1984, and WCCW is still old-school enough where they don't like seeing the faces cheat. But I wanted Adams to save a little face there.

-I can't believe Parsons and Kabuki delivered such a great rating with their short "match". I think what worked there was that I set it to "overbook", as well as "work the crowd", and those two guys both have pretty good entertainment stats. So the fans were into the story.

-I'm not exactly sure where this Roberts angle is going, but I'm imaging comedic, over-the-top, "born again" antics that the fans aren't buying.

-I'm pretty sure the pre-show segment was my first "A" rating for a promo. Too bad it was on the pre-show. I just wanted one extra storyline step for the show, and the main show was jam-packed

Last edited by molson : 08-16-2007 at 07:38 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote