View Single Post
Old 06-12-2003, 12:32 AM   #42
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

August 10, 2002

Northant Evening Telegraph

They Came Back For This?

by Roger Terndon

A year ago, we were lamenting that the Poppies of Kettering Town were about to start their first year in the lower semi-pro leagues since 1972.

Now they are back in the Conference and one week away from embarking on a new season. But is there really a difference between this year and last? Last year, there was hope they could return to the Nationwide. This year, there is fear they won't stay.

So the goal remains the same: to play in the Nationwide Conference next year.

Can we expect it? The pundits aren't sure. Most seem to think this team will be lucky to end up in the middle of the table. I'm hard pressed to disagree with them.

After two months on the job, new manager Matthew Kieta has added just one new face to the roster--assistant manager Steve Thompson. Not one addition was made to the playing roster, and it seems to most that this new manager must be in over his head.

This was not one of the best offensive sides in the Dr. Marten's League and barely escaped that league to win promotion as it is. From that roster, the Poppies have removed former manager and top scorer Carl Shutt, making them even more impotent on offense.

Now here we are approaching a new season, and we have a hodge-podge of new players from whom we have no idea what we'll get. Certainly, few of them have proven themselves on this level before.

Dag & Red seems to be the favorite, as well they should be after finishing just short of promotion last year. Third-placed Yeovil Town and the Rovers of Doncaster will be there, too. Barnet, Farnborough, Morecambe--all look like solid teams. And, though, they suffered relegation last year, Halifax Town has to be considered a strong team by virtue of having played in the League last season. Toss in the few surprises you have every season, and that makes for a top ten table that will be hard to crack.

But the Poppies don't need to be in the top half of the table just yet--they just need to beat three teams, and two of them--Gravesend and Burton Albion--are new additions to the Conference, just like the Poppies.

Can they do it? The friendly schedule gives hope. Kettering Town played well in its preseason fixture, posting four wins and a draw in six matches. The team played a strong defense with Lee Howarth and Ian Bowling forming an impermeable wall, and the offense was decently productive as well. But this team also saved its worst for last, falling in miserable fashion to Leyton Orient earlier this week. Was it a bad night? Or was it finally facing a side which was putting all of its starters out from the first whistle?

The oddsmakers place the Poppies' odds at 33-1 to win advancement to the League. I think it would do more good to know what the odds are the Poppies will be relegated at the ended of the year--because avoiding it will be the real championship for Kettering Town fans.

After all, what good is promotion if you're relegated the season afetr that? The Poppies will need to beat this second test to prove they are back for good.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote