View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #874
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just got back from Surf's Up ... and thought about this thread before I even got out of the theater parking lot.

At worst, it's arguably the prettiest new animation I've seen in any movie. Simply gorgeous at times and yet believable, and if you remember any of the surfing documentaries like Endless Summer the influence on the cinematography (or whatever the animated equivalent is) is obvious.

It's not real deep (although there is enough story to hold the movie together), it's not preachy (although there is a moral to the story), it's not a laugh riot (although there are laughs).

What it is, though, is the most enjoyable animated movie I've seen in at least a year (and we see most of them) and the happiest I've been coming out of a theater in quite a while too.

What it isn't (contrary to impression that I believe might be hurting it a lot) is anything at all like Happy Feet, the penguin thing is pretty much coincidental & is hardly used as a plot device at all.

I have a feeling this won't last in the theaters much longer, with Ratatouille opening this weekend, but if you get a chance & enjoy modern animation then try to catch this before it closes. If you've got kids in the 5-10 age range, then I'd suggest putting it ahead of the opening weekend of Rat and catching it a week later.