View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #33
Sgran
High School Varsity

I'm just finishing my masters in environmental science. Naturally this is a hot topic. There is still a lot that's unclear about global climate, especially when you add global dimming to the mix, but there a few things everyone should accept at this point:
1. There is a concensus among scientists that A. the earth is getting warmer, and B. we are causing it. The latest IPPC report claims as much scientific certainty as you'll ever see on a topic. I mean we're talking about legions of climatoligists ruling out whether the Earth's wobble could be causing rising temperatures. They were thorough. If they're wrong, then all science needs to be rethought.
2. Global climate change is happening and it will continue and there's nothing we can do about it for now. All we can do is drastically reduce our greenhouse gas emissions and hope that by 2050 things haven't gotten that bad.
3. There are a lot of things we can to reduce our energy consumption at very low cost (i heard Gore talks about this, but I haven't seen The Truth). These are things we should do anyways, to conserve resources, save money, and reduce air pollution.

Criticism of what we should do about GCC is healthy, but anyone who claims that the jury is still out should take his/her place next to the guy telling you the earth is 6,000 years old.
Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote