View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #432
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
the whole point behind me bringing up Carmela and her living situation is this has happened before. the Boss of the NYC mob got thrown in jail, and wound up having to sell his huge house that his wife and kids were living in to Bobby and Tony's Sister. so, if Tony got whacked or throwin in jail - does the NJ mob step up and continue payments to her? Paulie and Gay Vito waited until Tony came out of a coma to finally bring their kickbacks to Carm, otherwise they weren't gonna pay her. what happens? her whole side business (selling houses) was based on Tony being able to lean on the inspectors to get them to approve the poorly built houses she was developing. so there goes her source of income. what happens?

if Tony gets whacked, does that once again force AJ to try to be a man and avenge him? he clearly has the means with his associates in the Next Generation of young gangsters. does that throw him over the deep end or does he finally wind up killing himself (successfully, this time)?

these are the things i'd like to know. take me from Point A to Point B.

The reason you want to know all of those things, HA, is because the artists have done a great job of engaging you enough imaginatively to believe that a collection of images overlaid on a story actually has a more thorough existence than what it really does. As an audience member, you're supposed to wonder about things like that. It's how we build our imaginative worlds.

The Sopranos had an end -- we were supposed to be left at the peak of tension for the scene. We are given enough to draw conclusions from what we've seen, but whether or not we're "right" is unimportant -- what's important is that we're still engaging in our imaginative experience of the work, and that's one of the major keys to art.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote