View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 05:41 AM   #234
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDukes View Post
I wanted everything that was told over the last 7 seasons to mean something.

Then you were watching the wrong show if you wanted some sort of ending. Part of the lure and frustration with David Chase is that he is not conventional with beginnings and ends. If you don't believe me, watch the season preimeres and finales of The Sopranos over the years as well as the fascination with dream sequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDukes View Post
See, that's why I think it's a copout. If I wanted to imagine some crime family, I can do that. But I'm watching a show where people are paid to write a story - not to give me ideas about a story in my head.

Your half-right here. Those people "are getting paid to write a story," but Chase has said from the very beginning that he was not sold on the typical rise and fall of a gangster story (as in Godfather and Goodfellas) and wasn't sure if he wanted to stick with that pattern.

IMO, the way it ended was the most realistic of all possible endings. There are other subtle things going on in that episode that make it great.

-Paulie's long looks of contempt for Tony v. duty to Tony every time they talked
-Tony starting to go on about his Mother at AJ's psychologist and the looks that Carmella was giving him while doing so.
-AJ's sudden fascination with the Army and then flaking out as he always does.

Thus, in truth, a lot of things were resolved:

-Tony's going to have the stress for the rest of his life until death or mental disease (why the visit with Uncle June was so important)
-AJ is going to be a flake for the rest of his life
-Meadow is never going to fulfill her potential
-Carmella is going to break-down soon, as well.

That was the whole meaning of this show. It was not a gangster type show. Chase wanted to show viewers the stress of the hidden mafia world and its impact on a person who can seem to be a hero even though he really is a villan. He did a great job, and you can tell the series was successful b/c you wanted more. I felt the same way after Seinfeld ended and both series ended in somewhat the same way.

Nevertheless, I doubt it's the last time you hear from the Soprano's. Someone will throw Chase or some other director and the actor's a boatload of cash to convince them to be in a two hour movie which will basically be a direct ripoff of Goodfellas. Me, I probably won't catch that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I never watch one second of the show, but on a whim, I flipped to the show and watched the last 15 minutes. The acting was pretty good (except for the main guy's horrifically stupid voice) and it seemed well directed, but the ending made me think I didn't miss much.

Typical.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote