View Single Post
Old 05-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #113
WVUFAN
College Starter

Just picked up my stack of comics from the last two weeks, including some of the free comics from Free Comic Book Day. Here's some of what I got:

Painkiller Jane #1(Dynamite): Woman on Woman topless kissing is cool. Oh, yeah, there's a bunch of fighting and really good dialogue as well. The topless kissing scene seemed to come out of nowhere, though, which makes me curious as to what the writer will go with the romance angle.

Death Dealer #1&#2 (Image): The art is FANTASTIC, but the story is a little lacking. It just may take time to develop.

The Umbrella Academy (Dark Horse): Free comic preview. Writer is Gerald Way, the lead singer of My Chemical Romance. the art is ... very Mike Mignola-ish without the detail, and the story is just doggone wierd. I read it through twice before I really got it, although one of the characters, "The Rumor" has a great power that I wish I had. Plus it's free.

Pirates vs Ninja (Antarctic): Free Comic. GET THIS COMIC. It's got great cartoony art, and a funny, funny story. Plus it's full sized -- a complete story. And it's free.

Hack/Slash #1 (DDP): I think I mentioned this before -- if you're a fan of horror books, this one is for you. Cassie Hack is the penultimate damsel in distress who has gotten tired of being in distress all the time, and goes after the serial killers and monsters instead of being the victim. It's got a good backstory, and it's a first issue of an ongoing -- you can get in from the ground floor. I'm a big fan of Tim Seeley, the writer. He's one of the few writers out there (with Robert Kirkman and Steve Niles) who just GETS how to do a decent horror book. I think he's the next big thing, and wouldn't be surprised to see him on a few DC or Marvel books in the next few years.

Mighty Avengers #3(Marvel): Bendis is getting better at this. I love the internal dialogue in this book. And Frank Cho can draw women, especially Tigra.

The Astonishing Wolf-Man(Image): Free comic. This is the full, complete first issue of an ongoing that they made into one of the Free Comics. From my understanding, it's been the most popular because a)it's not a preview, but the full first issue), and b)it's written by Robert Kirkman, and the last two ongoings he started with Image (Walking Dead and Invincible) and two of the best written comics out there today. It's free, and it's a great start to a series, although it's a horrible name for a title.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 05-19-2007 at 12:54 AM.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote